“Exercise not only changes your body, it changes your mind, your attitude and your mood.”
Our aim is for all AGS students to learn and be inspired by meaningful, relevant and fun activities, which improve their physical literacy and wellbeing for today and the rest of their lives.
We will achieve this aim through:
- Developing physical skills and competency through the curriculum.
- Provide opportunities to develop students’ leadership skills.
- Developing resilience and independence through the curriculum.
- Developing students’ knowledge of health and fitness/wellbeing but also developing their physical fitness.
- Providing competitive opportunities through both inter and intra sport.
Skills and Knowledge
At Key Stage 3 the students experience a broad and balanced curriculum that links onto the National Curriculum for England and Wales.
Students are to taught to:
- Use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games (for example, table tennis, basketball, cricket, softball, football, netball, rounders, rugby and tennis).
- Develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports (for example, athletics and gymnastics).
- Perform dances using a variety of techniques and styles.
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present intellectual and physical challenges and be encouraged to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group.
In Key Stage 4, all students continue to receive lessons through core PE. Additionally, the students can opt for a GCSE or BTEC sport qualification. The exam courses develop students’ understanding of how the body works, how to plan fitness programmes, the role of technology in sport and physical activity, and the role of the mind in performance. In year 10, students have the opportunity to also opt for the Level 2 Qualification in Sports Leadership during core PE. Year 10 students then apply their leadership skills in our local primary schools, and they also run sports festivals for our primary cluster.
The PE faculty offers all AGS students lots of opportunities to attend extra-curricular activities. There are a number of clubs on a Monday and Thursday for all students.
The PE faculty provides competitive fixtures in local, regional and national fixtures in a variety of sports. These run along our ‘sport for all’ provision.
AGS staff deliver activities for all year groups.