Preparing for Exams
The GCSE examinations can be a stressful time for parents who often feel that they don’t have the necessary subject knowledge to support their child.
Every parent, regardless of level of education, can have a major impact on the achievement of their child by reinforcing the following key messages:
- It is vital that students do not just keep reading and rewriting their notes. They must quiz/test themselves to ensure that they can remember the information they will need for the examinations.
- Students should break down the information they want to learn into small, manageable sections and perform short repeatable tasks that build into a habit. Studying for all subjects on a rotation will help with this.
- Avoid distractions by creating a space that you use only for study, and blocking small periods of time that you dedicate to one task, and one task only.
- The most important thing is to look after yourself. Taking breaks, staying active, getting enough sleep and eating right will give you the POWER TO PERFORM!
For more information, see our AGS Success video blogs below.
- Episode 1 – Retrieval practice
- Episode 2 – Getting revision strategies right
- Episode 3 – Spaced study practice
- Episode 4 – Chunking revision
- Episode 5 – Sleep
- Episode 6 – Habit stacking
- Episode 7 – The benefits of stress
- Episode 8 – Study space
- Episode 9 – Distractions
- Episode 10 – How to get better sleep
- Episode 11 – Mobile phone distractions
- Episode 12 – AGS Enhance
- Episode 13 – Self Quizzing